Tuesday, May 27, 2008

About me


Thank you for stopping by my personal online journal of Decorating , Miniature making and Home Keeping at my Cottage. I'll start with the fact that "my cottage" is a split level suburban home nestled on the North Shore of Long Island , NY. The only thing that makes it a Cottage, is my Decorating and my love of anything Vintage and Cottagey :) Yes, that's not a word, but I like it. I try on a seasonal basis to keep the inside and outside of our home in a cottage style , a little bit vintage , a touch of French, a dash of farmhouse country, and yet honor the NY coastal island I live on too. Mix that with one of my Favorite places, Martha's Vineyard and Nantucket, and you've got my sense of style! I love designing in natural tones the more I get older and have just completely re-decorated to suit this simple yet cozy look. I was an Interior Designer and stylist for over 20 years in the tri-state region here and loved working from home while I raised my children. I've now switched over my training and degree as a Designer to doing the same thing in Miniature (1:12 scale) and I couldn't be happier!

I'm married and have 3 beautiful children ,ages 28, 22, and 18. The first 2 are my fabulous boys and the younger is my precious Baby Girl ( ok , not a baby anymore). And of course I have to include my beautiful Lab Sierra and the sweet but very small Yorkie Levi. I am certainly blessed with the most incredible children and they mean the world to me. They know how passionate I am about them , and they know my creative side too!


My favorite passion outside of my family and friends, is definitely miniatures! I started working with polymer clay a couple years ago and I'm totally addicted. I enjoy the Bakery style and doing vignettes in 1:12 scale, perfect for dollhouses, room boxes, and collectors. In addition to creating and designing miniatures , I've also written 2 books on miniatures and just recently started a miniature quarterly magazine called Mini-ologie with Maritza Moran and Kim Saulter. It's been a wonderful addition to my creative side! I also love cooking and entertaining friends... Well Entertaining is pretty much a favorite of mine, it helps me keep sane between it all ;) I enjoy the Domestic side of life, cooking, even cleaning (lol), being crafty and making things from scratch.   I adore cooking with my daughter and boys too, that to me is pure Bliss! Everyone in the kitchen :)

Welcome to my blog! I hope it brings you some sense of Inspiration and what it's like to be a Designing Mom. And of course mixing in some daily life at my Cottage. Enjoy and Thanks for stopping in!

To read more "about me" if I haven't bored you yet, click this link where I was asked to describe my typical day and all my likes and dislikes etc :) More about me....

Hugs,

~ Cynthia ~