Monday, April 29, 2013

The sweetness in a Spring kitchen

Hello friends! Just when I thought I was getting the new blogger format down packed, it seems I've hit a wrong button and my pictures are uploaded out of order again. So forgive the sequence , I guess I'll have to go back to uploading one picture at a time. It's been a busy couple of weeks, but a wonderful bunch too. I've put making miniatures for my shop on a bit of a hold lately as I'm working on a new collection with my beautiful and talented friend Maritza Moran. The  collection coming out soon is titled "Vintage Vineyards" and while every one of her collections is stunning beyond words, this one is near and dear to my heart. Its going to be filled with vintage styled miniatures, romantic cottage elements, and a touch of shabby chic and a little prairie feel to it too. She's working on pieces that are from actual vintage wine barrel wood , re-purposed from the vineyards near where she lives (the beautiful California wine country!).  It's been such an honor to work on this collection with her and as soon as it is available I will let you know. It should be just a matter of about 2 weeks hopefully, but I will post the date here and on my facebook page. So stay tuned! :) I've also sent a new collection titled "The Vintage Kitchen...Dream a little dream.." out to the Kensington Dollshouse Festival, in London. The show is May 11th and 12th and I do hope if you're in the area you can stop in and see my collection in the showcase! (I'll be posting more about this soon too!). After both of these exciting ventures are completed, I will be back to making miniatures for my Etsy shop. I also have a big surprise coming in the Summer months with a new venture a couple of my miniature friends and I are working on for you. So again, stay tuned :). Whew, ok lots of updates, but now onto a few miniatures....Some of these items will be featured in Maritza's collection, and they were such a joy to make!

Creamed honey is a favorite of mine in real life and it comes in so many flavors too, I kept mine simple because I love the creamy homemade look to them. They were a great joy to make in miniature. I set aside a few "canning" days and made up a batch. Good music on, a window open to the beautiful Spring air, and a lot of stirring and a nice batch was complete. Have you ever tried real creamed honey? If you haven't , it's a must try!

Simple and deliciously sweet!

Custom labels are fun to make too! With the creamed honey jars,  I lightly tea stained the vintage styled floral fabrics to help give it that old fashioned/vintage feel...




Creating a scene of "making the honey" is just about as much fun as making it! :) After all, that's really what I love about miniatures most, the "play" time after the items have been created!


I'm still working on my photography skills, because that's the best way I know how to bring a scene to life for you. And I'm sure I still have a long ways to go, but it's just as much fun learning all the aspects of it , as it is putting it to use...

As a Designer and stylist, I had to teach myself years ago how to use Photoshop and now I find all the tools I learned and played with really come into wonderful use with miniatures too! With the photo above, I added a bit of black and white to help give the miniatures more of a nostalgic feel. Not everyone is a fan of black and white, but I really love it. My father was a wonderful photographer and he shot most of his work in black and white, so that's probably why it tugs at my heartstrings so much. I can still remember as a little girl, going into the darkroom and watching him create his magic while the picture came to life in a tub of solution.. Still to this day, it's scent can awaking those memories of being his little helper all those years ago. I would also follow him everywhere around the yard as he photographed things that sparked his fancy. I do believe I placed myself in front of that lens many times too! :) Seeing myself from a newborn on for too many years to count proves his daughters were also a favorite subject if his too :) ...............Mostly all of my miniatures come from a place in my heart where my passions and memories are. Whether that's baking pies with Mom, playing with my grandmothers aprons and linens, baking cookies and cakes, or having a special "canning" day. They all find their way into my miniatures. And creamed honey is one of those special things too, so here's how to make your own....

* * Making creamed honey in miniature is pretty easy. I use Easy Cast Resin (from a craft store like Micheal's etc). Follow the directions on the box for mixing the 2 ingredients. Then pour into another plastic clear cup. Shave in a bit of "creamy yellow" (not bright yellow) oil pastels. Stir until you see a nice creamy color blended throughout. ( I hold my cup up to the light to make sure the colors are well blended). Then add some white pastels too, this will give the honey a more opaque look. Hence a creamier look than golden honey or jam would. There aren't any "perfect" measurements here, just keep stirring until you've reached the desired color. I actually let my jams, jellies and honey sit a couple minutes before I determine if I want to add more color. That way, the color gets to settle a bit and you can better see what it will look like dry. Then I pour the resin (very carefully ) into little glass jars and let dry overnight. You now can have fun with labels, tops and all sorts of things you love added on. Or, as in my case, I actually prefer them to be fairly simple and sometimes all that's needed is a metal lid. . It just say's "homemade" a little more to me :)

I spent a bit of time over the last couple of weeks making other things too, this was a cake stand (above) that I had seen in real life and I so I worked a bit on creating one in miniature... Fun and challenging :) !

Not being able to find miniature ramekins in the colors I wanted, I created some in mini myself. This is a very soft pastel blue (above) and I made them in other colors too (below). But the blue one was my last one and the style I am happiest keeping and using in projects. Things like this and the cake stand, take lots of practice and patience. I think I will stick to the ramekins and for now, go back to "buying" cake stands. Some things are just tried for fun and then I realize what I'm better off sticking with :)

and ..... a little Vintage Mixer Love  

I made this mixer last week and was very happy with it ! It literally took a few days! But since I couldn't find a milkshake maker in the style I wanted, again, I gave it a try. After much sanding, painting, cutting out of tiny black rubber feet, ordering vintage green rubber cording, and sanding again, lol, it was complete. :) I am working on little details of a Bakery/Sweet shop for the future, so this will have a nice home one day!

Well I hope you enjoyed my little tour of "what's new" in miniature...
Some how , I've also found time to work on details of getting my little baby girl (almost 18 lol) all ready for college in the fall, done lots of backyard work getting the house all ready for the beautiful season of entertaining friends and family, and even managed to clean out every closet and drawer known to man in this house. So, I am feeling ready and renewed! I hope you all are enjoying a lovely and blessed Spring too!!

Big hugs , and lots of love!

Cynthia xo 

10 comments:

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I always love seeing your new creations. I can come here...enlarge your photos and shrink myself and have a good ole time! Sweetness through and through!

Michelle, All Home and Love said...

So very sweet! Enjoy your day!

Michelle

Fabiola said...

Very nice pictures. I like this atmosphere.
Bye, Faby

Ribbonwood Cottage said...

HI Cynthia, love all your new additions. I'm so motivated to try some of these miniatures. After looking and reading your second book I have gone to Michaels to buy some of the supplies...I still need the liquid resin...but I'm determined to try. I have always stuck to sewing...that is my comfort area and I enjoy it. But I just have to try this. I have always loved miniature ovens and have a wonderful collection, but I need to branch out. Thanks for the inspiration.
My baby girl is graduating from college...it went by so fast...
Enjoy your time together...it does just get better between mom and daughter.
Blessings,
Debbie

Deb said...

Whether you have it down pat or not doesn't really matter to me. I just enjoy looking at all your lovely, sweet minis. Your soda fountain mixer is so clever. And as for creamed honey, well you brought back a fond childhood memory of a treat I would make myself. Creamed honey on one of my moms homemade biscuits. Yum-yum!! Good luck with all your projects, keep the blogs coming.

Eliana said...

Beautiful photos, as always.

;)
Hugs.

The Creative Bohemian said...

I just love looking at your mini kitchen scenes. They are so charming. Thanks for sharing your art with us!

miniacollection said...

More beautiful and charming miniatures that make me dream. I also can't wait to knw what your big surprise would be.
Geneviève

Unknown said...

Great posting about The sweetness in a Spring kitchen. Your information is really informative for us......

designer kitchens brisbane,

Unknown said...

These articles and blogs are certainly sufficient for me personally for a day. signage services perth